Pharmaceutical Time Lapse of Extended/Slow Release Capsules, by Tom Angelastro
This projects main goal from its early stages was to show the process of how the capsule fails, and releases the contents. Each photo in its own right is a beautiful organic feel showing how two difference densities of fluids meet and interact. My intention was to harness the skills and techniques solidified in this course to capture the way that these capsules interact with the water around them, and in doing so create interesting artwork that can then be combined into a short, video.
As this project proceeded, it took some turns that when I initially pictured it in my mind worked differently. The end results, yes, turned out like I was hoping. An interesting series of imagery that slowly show the failure and release of the gel contents. This took several attempts in total. The first try I did was just to see about how long it was going to take, which is where I encountered the first.
Temperature of the water used made a difference of over an hour in release time. Attempt one was cold water, attempt two was scalding hot water. Attempt three was the one that I photographed, with the use of hot water.
When I was starting to work with this project, and attempt to figure out what was the best set up what I found out was the use of a shallow dish, yielded the best detail on the capsule, and allowed me to get the camera closer. The water depth was only millimeters above the top of the capsule. If I was to do this again, one thing that I would want to do was to have some way to contain the dissolving of the capsule more.
In addition to trying to figure out that best way to contain the water, the issue of what is the best way to light the area came up. After trying several different set ups that consisted of more oblique angles as an attempt to reduce glare off the surface water, the best option came up of illumination from underneath. By shooting towards my light source, I didn’t have to worry about not having enough light. I was able to use a lower ISO to preserve quality, this was also assisted through the use of a tripod.
In addition to under source lighting, and a tripod, I also made use of a remote as to reduce the amount that I was forced to touch the camera, which helped to limit difference in imagery alignment from frame to frame.
Although I wouldn’t say that I used any new techniques learned from the course, I would definitely say that I applied skills that were reinforced in this class. Things like lighting placement, choosing a lower ISO, the choice of f/8, and the use of a polarizing filter to help with glare.
Overall I would say that this project was a successful endeavor. I hope to continue this series using other medications and capsules and document their release in a similar fashion.